Skull & Shackles
Rolling the Bones
The following circumstances demand or offer a chance at Rolling the Bones (2d6)
Hit Points at -1 or below (but not dead)
- If the character wishes, he can consult Table 11-1 on page 124 of Skull and Bones and add the result to the Fortitude save to remain conscious (DC 10 + negative amount).
Dramatic Event (no more than 1/gaming session)
- If a character likes, he may roll the bones once during a dramatic effect. Consult Table 11-1 on page 124 of Skull and Bones.
- Result of 2-6, the character dies and loses a life (see below).
- Result of 6-12, the character lives but is removed from the scene in some fashion. For example, he could wash up on a deserted island, be imprisoned, kidnapped, spirited away, etc. His fate is usually a mystery to the other players.
Losing a Life
- PCs begin play with 1D4+2 lives. This number is kept secret from the players
- Each time a PC loses a life (but not his last), he must roll on the Affliction chart below
- Lose an arm -4 to att. with two-handed weapons and all physical skills
- Lose a leg: Speed halved, cannot charge, -2 on climb, acrobatics, disguise, escape artist, ride, stealth, swim
- Lose a hand: -2 to att. with two-handed and climb, acrobatics, disguise, escape artist, swim, craft, perform, sleight of hand
- Lose an eye: -2 perception and ranged weapons
- Disfiguring scar: -2 Comeliness
- Debt: You owe a powerful being of evil a blood debt
- Lose an ear: -1 Comeliness and -2 Perception
- Lose a finger: -1 Dexterity for every 3 fingers lost
- Weathered: -1 Comeliness
- Hideous Scar: -2 Diplomacy and Bluff, +2 Intimidate and Reputation
- Minor scar: Interesting but no more
- Feel it in my bones: +1 Knowledge Nature
- Doll’s Eyes: You have the cold, Predatory eyes of a shark. +2 Intimidate and Perception. -2 Diplomacy and Bluff
- Phobia: You acquire a phobia related to your near-death experience and a superstition to combat it.
- Debt: You owe a powerful being of good a blood debt
- Religious Experience: +2 Knowledge religion
- Secret: You discover a secret of great import
- Physical Alteration: You gain a shocking physical trait (green hair, purple eye, pallid skin, etc.) +1 Reputation
- Battle Scar +2 Reputation
- Impressive scar: +1 Comeliness, Charisma, Reputation